Man of the Year: The Future of the Year – Jeremiah Davis

Torrence Banks, News Editor

Meet freshman Philosophy major Jeremiah Davis, author of the novel “The Hunt For The Great Beast: Book 1: Water”. It is currently sold in the Morehouse College bookstore. While he has written four published books and six total, this is his only one currently in the Morehouse’s bookstore.

“It’s about a society that has gone through two extremely devastating wars,” Davis said. “Because of their fighting, they have unleashed four mythical creatures; a mole, a dragon, a bird and a whale. These creatures represent different aspects of nature. Their task is to reclaim the earth and kill all the humans.”

Davis is currently working on a book that focuses on the different parts of morality. It’s about a 16-year-old African-American boy that has to take a test that determines which of the three worlds he gets put into.

“He takes the test and he’s sent to a world that’s pretty rough,” Davis said. “He has to kind of navigate through this new world where things are extremely violent and not suitable for a person to live.”
Davis started writing his books on loose leaf paper at the age of 11. At that age, he described himself as a homebody who used his time to read. Davis stopped writing his freshman year in high school, and picked it back up his junior year.

“I kind of just wanted to focus on school,” Davis said. “My mother had discouraged me from writing because it would waste paper. At that time, she didn’t really see it as necessary.”

Davis said that the hardest thing that he has had to overcome was the lack of financial support. He’s not able to spend as much money on promotion as he’d like. There is also some difficulty promoting his writing because it’s something that isn’t popular in his age group.

“Due to the fact that my mother is on a fixed income, I’m not really able to spend money to promote myself as much as I’d probably would like to,” Davis said. “So, I’ve had to kind of branch out as much as possible while also trying not to spend too much money.”
Despite this, he doesn’t write for the money. Davis writes to motivate others.

“I do just kind of want to inspire people,” Davis said. “Of course, to do that, you have to reach people. At the moment, I have made about 200-300 dollars. I may be way off that number, but that’s around the amount I’ve made.”
As for other writers, Davis would encourage them to keep going and learn from bad reviews. Many of Davis’ ideas started off as small, but he made them bigger overtime.

“We need as many as possible,” Davis said. “You can just write about your own story. You don’t have to write about these elaborate things. You can just write about simple things.

“Then I started to build on them and make them more complex. A lot of them didn’t start off as these big grand things. You have to just keep going and keep working. That’s the only way it’s going to happen.”