Morehouse Aims to Win Battle of the Tigers

Kaleb Martin, Staff Writer

Gather around football fans and alumni of the great Morehouse College. It’s time once again to come back home and enjoy good food from tailgating and good ole Maroon and White football.
This year for Homecoming, the Morehouse College Tigers (2-5) will host the Benedict College Tigers (0-6) Saturday at 2 p.m. in B.T. Harvey Stadium. Morehouse has hopes of making its record against Benedict 14-9, proving that they are the tigers that reign supreme.
When talking to Morehouse head coach Rich Freeman, he said that he is ready for the game against Benedict and knows how to play against them. Freeman believes this Homecoming game would be a big win for the team.
“This is the highest game on the calendar, and we all know that,” Freeman said. “We all know what is riding on it, institutional pride. Pride for the team, the student body, and alumni. We have some alumni that are up in age and this may be their last Homecoming, so those are the things that go through my mind. Everything is riding on this.”
Freeman made it clear that he isn’t worried about other teams beating the Maroon Tigers. He is much more concerned about his team beating themselves with poorly timed penalties.
“We’ve had some tough losses this year,” Freeman said. “We’re ninth in penalty calls (out of 11 SIAC teams). There was a game where we were 2nd-and-1. We hopped offsides and it cost us 15 yards. We’ve lost a lot of games that we won last year.”
Nevertheless, the team has been accomplishing some amazing feats, such as senior linebacker Jonathan Mathis leading the conference in tackles and Demetrice Lofton leading the Maroon Tigers with eight sacks. This is combined with the contributions from offensive players such as senior wide receiver Tremell Gooden, who leads his team with 491 receiving yards on 30 catches.
Be sure to see the Maroon and White take on the Purple and Gold this Saturday. Show your support and love for the real Tigers!