TOP

Mahogany-N-Motion’s Standout Year

Image via Amya Henley

By: Ryann Phillips, Staff Writer  

Around 6:30 p.m. every weekday, while most college students are completing homework, Mahogany-N-Motion Mahogany) dancers begin the second half of their day at Ray Charles Performing Arts Center (Ray PAC). Spelman students shout eight-count sequences in the auditorium. The light hum of a Zoom call filled the background while one of the dancers completed her final class of the evening. 

The versatility and hard work of Mahogany-N-Motion during the football season has shown in their valuable experiences. As the official dance line of the Morehouse College House of Funk Marching Band, they serve as ambassadors to the college and have had one of their strongest years in 2023. 

This year, their season has been filled with performances, including R&B artist Janelle Monáe and professional sports teams like the Atlanta Falcons and the Atlanta Dream. They also performed at the recent TEDWomen conference in Atlanta, GA, the Essence Festival in New Orleans this summer and more.

“[These opportunities] open the network for [Mahogany dancers] to segue into professional work when they leave the team,” head coach Rae Ransom Coleman said.

Many Mahogany-N-Motion dancers join professional teams after graduation. Mahogany alumni Kayla Marie Jackson is currently on tour with R&B artist Victoria Monét. 

For new women to the team, high standards can be a bit daunting, but freshman Layla Stubbs has taken advantage of these opportunities for growth. 

“I will say that I’ve learned a lot of discipline by being up early and having to be dressed at certain times,” she said. 

“They’re just so particular about just being on time,” Stubbs said, referring to her experience dancing with the Atlanta Falcons this season.

Mahogany also performed at the HBCU Falcons’ game the day after returning from the Tuskegee Classic game in Birmingham. 

While receiving much recognition from Atlanta and professional artists, Coleman wants Morehouse College to support the team a bit more. 

“The ladies of Mahogany-N-Motion work extremely hard for an organization. I don’t know how to make it sound nice. But, we work really hard. We don’t go to Morehouse, and we very rarely get recognition from the school,” said Coleman. 

“It’s just nice that other organizations outside of campus are giving us more opportunities,” she added.

This year’s captain, Vashti Robinson, has been on the team since her sophomore year, and she emphasized that this season is unlike others. 

“I would describe [this season] as catching flights and building my resume.Mahogany is on the map,” Robinson said. 

As the football season has concluded, Mahogany will also perform during halftime during basketball season for the Maroon Tigers. 

Copy Edited by: Zoria McClerklin, Sports Producer & Auzzy Byrdsell, Editor in Chief