Morehouse goes Undefeated in the HBCU All-Stars Challenge after Close Win to Fayetteville

Photo by: Juwan Lee

Morehouse looked defeated, as all momentum was lost, until sophomore forward, Nate Lacewell, took over offensively and defensively.

By: Jelani Massey, Staff Writer

In this Saturday night showdown, the Morehouse Maroon Tigers and the Fayetteville Broncos prepared to battle in the final game of this HBCU all-star games weekend. In this game the Maroon Tigers had to come clutch in the last minutes in the game and they were able to fend off a well coached Fayetteville team, 56-64. Morehouse was coming off an iconic victory over Livingston College after junior guard Andrew Stewart hit a buzzer-beater three giving the tigers a 70-67 win.

The Broncos, coached by Luke D’Alessio, came out crashing the boards, attacking the paint, and seemingly imposing their will. With 10 minutes to go in the half, they found themselves with a double-digit lead, beating the tigers 16-5, and then Andrew Stewart arrived.

His hands seemed to turn magnetic as the ball kept finding him. He had back-to-back steals, both resulting in points, then hit a deep three from the top of the key to cut the lead down to 14-16. His performance gave Morehouse the spark they needed, as they would take their first lead of the game with 45 seconds left in the half. They entered the locker room up 21-19. 

The second half was all about who wanted it more. Players hit the floor for every loose ball, bodies banged as they crashed the boards and emotions were high. The game went back and forth, and neither team was willing to give up ground.

With 1:18 left in the match Junior Foward, Kaleb Coleman ripped through 2 defenders getting the and-one finish. The crowd erupted as the Broncos went up 54-52. Morehouse looked defeated, as all momentum was lost, until sophomore forward, Nate Lacewell, took over offensively and defensively.

Lacewell came back down the court, hitting a clutch three from deep, giving Morehouse a 55-54 lead. A few moments later, he sealed the game with a ferocious block as the clock hit zero. After the game Lacewell talked about where he star-studded performance came from.

“We put in so many hours in the gym, it’s just natural,” Lacewell said. “We do this every day. This is my job, my lively hood, my passion. For me to come out here for forty minutes and giving it my all, that’s nothing compared to what I do for 365 days a year.” 

The Tiger looks to continue this tremendous season start as they take on Miles College on Monday, November 28th. 

Copy Edited by Miles Johnson