TOP

Ja Morant Seeking a Return After a Quick Stint of Rehab

By Niles Garrison, Staff Writer  

The NBA suspended Ja Morant for eight games after displaying a gun at a Denver nightclub on social media on March 4.  

Ja Morant is the star point guard of the Memphis Grizzlies and has had the media buzzing over off-court issues. On March 4, 2023, Ja Morant went live around 3 am inside a nightclub. The live displayed Morant rapping along to songs until he later flashed a handgun in the camera.

Clips of Morant flashing the gun quickly spread around the internet and got back to the NBA and Memphis grizzlies. This caused Memphis to suspend Morant for the following two games and the star guard issued an apology for his actions.

Sources came out that center of the Memphis Grizzlies, Steven Adams called a players-only meeting before the Morant incident to stay disciplined on the road.

The recent buzz caused media officials and members of the NBPA to follow a string of off-court issues that Morant has been in over the past months.

Morant was investigated by police in Tennessee for an incident this past September where the NBA star and members of his circle went to Houston High School and confronted a student who had allegedly called his sister, Teniya, a word he did not like. Allegations came about saying one person was about to pull a gun, but police said no one had a gun on them at the time. No charges were filed in this incident.

Morant was reported to have attended a counseling program in Florida but returned shortly after to meet with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver on how he can return to the court this NBA season. Morant was then suspended eight games by the NBA. The eight games would allow him to return to action on Monday, March 20.

The star guard was also interviewed by ESPN analyst Jalen Rose on the entire situation, what he had learned from counseling, and his experience being suspended. Morant also spoke about how he takes pride in being a role model. 

“I have a lot of kids who look up to me,” Morant said. “Be more responsible, be smarter, and make better decisions.”

Recent sources around the Grizzlies organization have found strong reasoning that Morant will return to the court on Wednesday, March 22 against the Houston Rockets.

With Adams back and the availability of both Dillon Brooks and Morant, the Grizzlies have nearly a full healthy roster. Though, forward Brandon Clarke is out for the remainder of the season due to injury. 

In Morant’s absence the Grizzlies’ guard, Tyus Jones showed he has ability to step up and be a difference maker as well, who can replace Clarke’s contributions. With the playoffs around the corner, everyone is returning just in time for the Grizzlies.

Copy Edited By Clifton Dutton, Sports Editor