AUC Students Budgeting for Homecoming?

Autumn Harris, Contributing Writer

The increase of party flyers on the utility poles adjacent to Morehouse’s parking garage and the “Welcome Back” signage fixed onto Spelman’s front gate almost feel ritualistic in the beginning of October. Come the 27th, Morehouse’s Westview Drive will be packed with food vendors, trailers and members of the AUC for what might be the most anticipated  event of the year, that is, SpelHouse homecoming.

While students may feel excited for the festivities, their wallets may not be. Unfortunately, the fun isn’t free. Some students are willing to spend between $300 and $1,200 during Homecoming Week, to ensure that they have a good time.

Alexis Harden, a senior at Spelman College, has participated in the last three homecomings and plans on getting in on the fun this year. She foresees herself spending about $400 this year on clothing, event tickets, ride sharing apps and food.

“I try to budget, but it’s hard because I end up having to figure out the events that I️ intend on going to, what I’m going to wear, how many Ubers I plan on calling,” Harden said. “Homecoming is about spontaneity, especially when it’s your last year.”

Nina Danley, another senior at Spelman College, thinks she spent between $700 to $1,000 for last year’s homecoming on hair, clothing, and nails.

“I️ don’t think I️’ll be spending as much this year because I️ don’t have hair anymore,” said Danley, who cut her hair as an act of liberation. “So that saves me about $300 for purchasing and installing bundles. My friends are also trying to get me to online shop in advance so that I️ don’t have to pay as many rushed shipping fees.”

What about homecoming makes college students willingly spend so much money?

“I think a lot of people spend so much money for homecoming because it’s the biggest event of the year with exception to senior week,” says Spelman senior Skylar Mitchell. “At the least, people might want to participate and at most, they might feel that they have something to prove so they spend money on clothes and hair, which isn’t different from any other time that black people gather to celebrate our culture. I mean, think about it, for Easter we’re told to wear our ‘Sunday best.’ ”

Amiya Washington, a junior at Clark Atlanta University, started budgeting this past summer when her internship gave her a smaller stipend than she expected.

“I️ had all these expenses which limited the amount of money that I could spend on myself,” Washington said. “At first it was kind of hard documenting all of my purchases, but once I️ started to do it, I️ felt like I️ had more control of my life. I️ was paying attention to how much I️ was spending on fast food and nails. Budgeting made me feel more organized.”

With more candidness about homecoming expenses, hopefully students will become more conscious about their spending and alleviate pressure on themselves and their wallets.