Morehouse College Administration Responds to Recent Sexual Assault Allegation

Jair Hilburn, Editor-In-Chief

In response to allegations of sexual misconduct brought forward by students on July 16 and 17, Morehouse College President David A. Thomas has released a statement expressing that it is “a top priority” that the student body, along with the faculty and staff, feel safe on campus.

“We will vigorously investigate any claims of sexual misconduct filed with our Title IX office,” Thomas said in the statement. “Our Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures guidelines provide for disciplinary action, including dismissal, if any student, faculty or staff members engages in inappropriate behavior. My support goes to anyone who feels they have been mistreated in anyway at Morehouse College.”

On the evening of July 16, a student posted a video on Twitter accusing a staff member of sexual assault, bringing it to the attention to many across the platform. The video has been shared across the platform over 2,000 times. A second student responded to the video, shared his experience with the staff member and talked about how it had an effect on his life.

Following the inital student’s video, a third student posted a thread of videos — receiving over 1,000 shares — accusing the same staff member of sexual harassment.

Out of solidarity, Twitter users have offered support to those who made the posts.

President Thomas’ statement says that senior leadership is addressing the matter. 

A formal investigation is now underway since the posting of the video. The president’s statement said Assistant Director of Student Services DeMarcus Crews, who was accused of sexual assault in the first student’s video, has been placed on unpaid administrative leave effective immediately. Senior Student Services Officer Maurice Washington has reached out to the students who made the posts.

In a later statement released by Washington, he said, “Please know that Morehouse College takes any concerns related to misconduct very seriously and will adhere to the appropriate due process, accordingly.”

Washington asks anyone with questions to contact him via email at Maurice.Washington@morehouse.edu or phone at (470) 639-0519. Anyone with complaints should call the anonymous hotline at (888) 299-9540 to issue them.

The Maroon Tiger attempted to contact the college’s Title IX office for a comment about these recent events. The Maroon Tiger is waiting for a response.

For more information on the story as it develops, follow The Maroon Tiger on Twitter and Instagram: @themaroontiger.