Chiefs vs Eagles in Super Bowl LVII: What to Know

Picture Edit by Philadelphia Eagles Media;

By Clifton Dutton, Sports Editor

Super Bowl LVII is approaching in less than two weeks and comes with new storylines. The game will be hosted in Glendale, Arizona at State Farm Stadium, which is home to the Arizona Cardinals. 

The Super Bowl will feature the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles, who both hold the same record at 14-3. These teams were also the number-one seeds in their respective conferences. 

The game will be on Sunday, Feb. 12 at 6:30 PM eastern time. The halftime show will be performed by the talented artist, Rihanna. Spectators also get a kick out of the commercials presented throughout the game. 

Both teams are led by MVP finalists at Quarterback: Patrick Mahomes for the Chiefs and Jalen Hurts for the Eagles. They will create history by being the first Super Bowl to feature two black starting Quarterbacks

In addition, this Super Bowl will also feature two brothers (Jason Kelce plays Center for the Eagles and Travis Kelce plays Tight End for the Chiefs) playing against each other. Both of them have been tabbed as future NFL Hall of Famers. This is the first time that siblings will face off against each other in a Super Bowl. 

Eagles’ A.J. Brown will be facing off against his high school teammate, Willie Gay Jr. They both go into the final game representing Mississippi. Unlike the Kelce Brothers, they will be actually lined up against each other as Brown plays Wide Receiver (offense) while Gay Jr. plays linebacker (defense).

The Head Coach for the Chiefs, Andy Reid, who has been with the Chiefs since 2012, previously coached the Eagles. Reid coached the Eagles from 1999 to 2012, before coming over to the Chiefs. Although he had an appearance, Reid never won a Superbowl with the Eagles.

Reid has won over 100 games for both franchises, which is a record within itself. He holds a 1-2 Super Bowl record winning in 2020 while losing in 2005 and 2021. 

The head Coach of the Eagles, Nick Sirianni, got the job last year. He has the chance to lead the Eagles to their second Super Bowl win ever. If they win, They will join 15 other teams that have won two or more Super Bowls.

For the season, the Eagles are ranked second defensively and the Chiefs are ranked at 11. The Chiefs have the number-one ranked offense and the Eagles sit at three.

Patrick Mahomes is battling through a high ankle sprain that he suffered in the Divisional Round against the Jaguars. As of now, the Chiefs’ wide receiver core is banged up as 5 of their 7 top Receivers on the depth chart are currently injured.

The Eagles won the NFC championship against an injury-plagued San Francisco 49ers. In this game, the Eagles lost their pro bowl guard, Landon Dickerson. He hyperextended his elbow but is expected to be ready for the Super Bowl.

Both teams have a little under two weeks to gameplan and heal up before their final face-off. Hopefully, both sides have a healthy team so viewers can get the best game possible. 

Copy Edited By Marlon “MJ” Scott