Miss Spelman Featured on FOX 5

Image Via Indi Clayton

By: Chelsea Frazilus, Staff Writer 

On Oct. 4th, Indi Clayton, the 40th Miss Spelman College, appeared as a guest on lifestyle show “Portia” featured on FOX 5 Atlanta. This segment partnered with singer-songwriter Leela James to promote her new single “Right Back In It” while on her HBCU Girl Talk Initiative tour.

Alongside Clayton and James, this conversation included Ashley Davis, Miss Morris Brown College, and India Myers, Miss Black on the Alpha Phi Chapter of Clark Atlanta University’s Royal Court.

The goal of James’ tour and this discussion was to speak to college-educated Black women studying at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) on how they get “right back in it” when going through trials in their lives. Clayton, Davis, and Myers discussed what caused them to attend an HBCU, what facets of their respective institutions they love, as well as the general importance of HBCUs as a whole.

This appearance is significant for the students in the Atlanta University Center (AUC) and the larger Black community through providing representation of thriving Black women attending HBCUs within the AUC.

“People being able to say ‘Oh, well we saw Miss Spelman on TV. We saw Miss Morris Brown on TV.’ That within itself speaks volumes” Clayton said.

As Miss Spelman College, Clayton uses her platform to lead by example. She has spearheaded initiatives to empower and improve the Spelman community through maintaining authenticity and transparency with the student body. One initiative of Clayton’s is known as “Seeds of The Week” which highlights the accomplishments of Spelman students.

She hoped this  appearance will leave a lasting impact on its viewers and those involved. In her future  Clayton wants to garner  a new level of exposure and vital lessons.

“As a creative, I always look for experiential opportunities to expand and grow my platform as Indi, not even as Miss Spelman, but as Indi. I think doing things and putting myself in places like this is not just good for exposure, but also from that experience knowing how to conduct yourself in an interview, knowing what to say and what not to say but also you never know who you are talking to. It could be something as simple as you are passing someone in the hallway on the way out and that person lands you your first job,” Clayton said.

The interview has no air date as of now. Stay tuned to view the queens of the AUC speak on their HBCU experience on “Portia” of FOX 5 Atlanta.

Copy Edited by: Auzzy Byrdsell, Editor in Chief