AUC Philly Club’s Influence on High Schoolers

Image via Phoenix Satterfield

By: Grace Barlow

The Atlanta University Center Philly Club is breaking barriers. In a recent initiative, The Philly Club and its members presented to over 500 high school students the significance of attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).  

The mission of the Philly Club is to enhance the educational experience for high school students beyond traditional college information sessions. The organization aims to enlighten college information sessions by sharing personal testimonies of their college experience, navigating the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) intricacies, the admissions process to Greek Life, and more.

During the previous winter break, more than 80 college students from over 15 HBCUs joined the Philly Club’s initiative. The Club administered workshop presentations and opened forums to college-bound students in and around Philadelphia, visiting 18 high schools. 

Tayllar Clark, a junior Business Administration major at Clark Atlanta University and the President of the  Philly Club, aims to create a lasting legacy while breaking the cycles of oppression within higher education in the Black community.  

“We [Black people] think that struggle is tradition . . . I don’t want you digging through the same dirt I had to. That doesn’t make sense . . . So, I really wanted to just create a legacy this year,” Clark says, expressing her perspective.

Sydney Johnson, a senior at Abington Friends School, located in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, was particularly impacted by the tour. 

“They just inspired me to lighten up,” Johnson said. “I’m ready to be around my people.” 

The weight of the college process led Johnson to question her college choices. She was evaluating if the process of going to college was even worth the headache. 

A transformative journey awaited Johnson – an HBCU Tour that confirmed her purpose.  After hearing several Spelman College students’ testimonies, Johnson experienced a newfound assurance. 

“This is what I’m doing this for,” she said. 

Jasir Dollard, a first-year Kinesthesiology major at Morehouse College and intern for the  Philly Club, connected with a student from Philadelphia’s Constitution High School. While reflecting on their interaction, Dollard shared some insight. , 

“As we were talking, he just became more engaged in what he needed to know about the colleges and what he needed to know to get in,” Dollard said. 

Dollard continued sharing that the student wanted to attend college because the student believed most people at his current school have no interest in going to college after graduation. ,  That same young man, according to Dollard, conveyed his desire to be the difference maker.

Image via Phoenix Satterfield

In addition to the Philly Club’s powerful conversations with Philadelphia high school students, club members established strong through their bonding events. 

Clark expresses the amount of love she felt from her team.

“I was going in and expecting friendships, but came out with a family, like that was beautiful,” Clark said. 

Clark wants to set a positive precedent for others by finishing her story with a good ending, wanting to leave behind a path for the Club’s future destination.  

The Philly Club is on a mission to transform young lives, with their profound insight into unique opportunities awaiting them at HBCUs, one high school at a time. Having impacted over 500 high schoolers, the Philly Club’s invaluable insights and eagerness to inform and inspire younger generations are forging a lasting legacy.

Copy Edited by: Justin Darden, News & Politics Editor