Students Exploring New Dining Options

Image via Ezekeial Rabb

By: Bradley Morrison, Staff Writer

AUC students have passionately sought extended hours for on-campus dining options. Attending school in Atlanta’s West End means restaurants close early amid an already established food desert. Morehouse Dining decided to make changes after hearing the students’ requests. 

Students seem to be delighted with the new and improved food options that are available on campus.

TLC (Tenders Love and Chicken) now has a burger menu, multiple establishments have extended hours, Brewed Awakenings received a internal makeover, and there is now mobile ordering.

Places such as The POD, Brewed Awakenings, and Slim and Huskies received extended dining hours. Most notably, Slim and Huskies will be open till 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights.

The inside of Brewed Awakenings now more so resembles a small coffee shop, featuring a grass wall and morehouse sign. Students can now sit more comfortably and study while they drink their  coffee.

TLC has received the most changes, with the options of mobile orders using the transact app and the new addition of burger menu. 

Problems have already surfaced when placing orders via the smartphone app, with inconsistent completion times. Students are not thrilled when getting the notification that their order is completed only to have to wait 

“It takes us a minute to make the burgers,” an anonymous TLC worker said. “And with the surge of new people that just order from the new menu, it results in us being understaffed. The amount of customers we’ve had in the past couple of weeks has had me working times 10, it stresses me out a little bit but sometimes they do funny stuff.”

“It’s what you expect out of a campus restaurant,” she said in regard to her thoughts on the burger. 

“It’s not like we’re supposed to be getting the best burgers ever but they are okay,” they said.

This same sentiment can be heard from some of the students. Sophomore, Reuben Girenge  bought the Bacon Cheeseburger and appreciated the efforts made by the college.

“If I’m being honest, it was alright– you know?” Girenge said. “It was a step in the right direction for food on campus, but it’s a work in progress. It increases the options on what students can spend their DCBS on.”

While most appreciate the efforts, opinions on the quality of the food at Morehouse remain the same.

Copy Edited by: Justin Darden, News & Politics Editor and Auzzy Byrdsell, Editor-in-Chief